About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my reading blog, I'm glad you've come to visit. This is just my informal reviews to keep track of what I've read lately. You may find some that interest you. Enjoy!

July 11, 2012

WHEN GOD WAS A RABBIT

by Sarah Winman


What a strange book indeed. I had mixed feelings about it really. There were times when it kept me engrossed and times when I lost interest a bit and skimmed. The title was what intrigued me but I didn't purchase it until it was on our book club list of reads so I gave it a go. The story is written in two parts, the first growing up and childhood experiences, the second about their adulthood which seemed doom and gloom for the most part. It's about friendships, relationships, tragedy, dreams, sexuality, love and of course starting over.


Elly loves her brother Joe dearly and this story tells their journey through life and bond that was so deep and so full of secrets that only the two of them knew. He was her protector and confidante. Her strange but best friend Jenny Penny was a sad case which I really felt for and wanted to pull her out of her troubled life, living with her mum and accompanying boyfriends. From Elly's aunt who is an actress and gay, her brother who is in love with his best friend, also gay, to eccentric elderly people coming in and out of her life, there really was too much happening and often seemed confusing.


Tying in 9/11 seemed a bit far fetched to me and don't think it was necessary to include this line of story with her brother missing, presumed dead, from the collapse of the twin towers. There was also a lot of language throughout the book which I didn't think really warranted it. At times I had to re-read pages to make sure I had actually read what I thought I had.  Like I said it was a strange book and certainly wasn't uplifting at all



No comments:

Post a Comment