About Me

My photo
Hi and welcome to my reading blog, I'm glad you've come to visit. This is just my informal reviews to keep track of what I've read lately. You may find some that interest you. Enjoy!

November 18, 2012

FOAL'S BREAD

by Gillian Mears

I have to admit the cover made me take this book home. Haven't a good 'horsie' book since Silver Brumby times back in primary school, so I was expecting great things, particularly with the book winning a few awards. I was disappointed. 
From the first chapter it was doom and gloom but I persevered until almost the end when I decided I would just skip through it. (Which I never usually do). 
I get the story was set in the harsh farming conditions in outback NSW prior to the war, and it was very tough living and farming at the time, but I really found this book depressing. Noah had a dark secret, the birth of a baby from her uncle at the age of 14, which she delivered herself and cast it down a river, so no one would find out. This would haunt her all her life.
The only part I enjoyed was when Noah and Roly fell in love during their early show jumping years and started to raise their family. But the joy was short lived and there always seemed to be tragedy in their lives, which Noah blamed on herself and what she had done to her baby. The book had many reflective moments of the relationship between Noah and her uncle which put me at ease and made me want to give her a good talking to. There was sadness throughout this story and I really didn't enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment